Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Arden - World Building - Part 2

I'm sure quite a few of you will remember this map from the inside cover of The IX, and I have the excellent talents of Roy Mauritsen to thank for it.
 
I think a picture paints a thousand words. But more than that, it helps me during the writing of the story itself as it helps to visualize what's where.
What you see above, started off on a much more amateurish scale. Take a peek at the maps I devised to help me navigate myself around Rhomane district....
 
My original Rhomane map
**********************
 
My original Shilette Abyss map
**************************

I know what you're thinking...Thank goodness for professional graphic artists like Roy. I know I did when I saw the futuristic version he produced to blend with the special tablet computers our heroes use.

But the important point that comes from this is that my incompetent attempts helped me map out a world and bring it to life. I had scale, I had distance, I had features jumping out and becoming part of the story. It's a pity I can't show you what I printed off and scribbled on. (Even more colors to show the extent of forests, and all sorts of other things that add depth to your narrative.

Any way - I produce them here for your enjoyment, and hopefully it might spur some of you on to greater detail in your own sories.

Enjoy...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment