Wednesday, December 16, 2015


The IX - Main Character Interview
 
 
 
Name
Alan McDonald – but only my mother calls me that. I’m Mac to everyone else.

Age
Thirty-five

Please tell us a little about yourself.
I was a lieutenant in the Royal Marines, and the officer commanding SBS 4 Troop, UK Special Forces Anti-Terrorist Wing. I’d been in the job, what? Longer than I care to remember, coming up through the ranks. And just as lady luck would have it, was due to be promoted to captain in the month following our little mishap.
It was a great life, at the cutting edge of the military and being able to play with all the latest toys. And we got to kill bad guys on a regular basis. What more could modern day assassin ask for?
As you’ll know by now, my troop specialized in anti-terrorism in just about any theatre you can imagine, rotating with two others on standby or training. It meant you didn’t get much of a social life, but you get used to that. Married to the job is what my lifestyle was all about.
Describe your appearance in 10 words or less.
A bit like Craig Daniel...just more handsome HA!

Would you die for those you love?
Like the others, we weren’t really sent a postcard about it. Our number came up, and we died doing the job we loved. I think when the brown stuff ended up hitting the fan, it was more a question of doing what we could to contain the matter and take as many b******s with us as possible. But we did alright there, eh?
What would you say are your strengths and weaknesses?
My strengths? Attention to detail and – despite what happened – a never say die attitude. I know lots of people say all sorts of things about Special Forces. But as other operators will tell you, the regime you become part of keeps you fit, keeps you well trained, and it up to you to stay motivated enough to apply what you learn whilst looking out for the little telltale signs that can make all the difference between life and – well – life again on a planet far, far away. Damn – but I’ll miss Star Wars episode 13 now!
My weakness? Expecting the same standards from others. That and a cutting sense of humor that can hide the fact when I’m being serious.
Do you have any relationships you prize above others? Why
Personal relationships? No, I don’t really have the time, and when you think about it, what woman in her right mind would agree to get close to a guy like me? I’m in the thick of it too much to even contemplate putting someone I care for through that much stress.
Saying that, I have met someone special since I’ve been on Arden...but we’re keeping things low key. (Let’s just say, she’s kick-ass in more ways than one...sigh!)
As for closeness. I don’t think I’ll ever really be as close to anyone as I am with the guys on the troop. We rely on other for so much, it’s like we were forged in the same womb. Hoo-ha!
J
Can you remember something from your childhood which influences your behavior? How do you think it influences you?
Yes. It was in the mid 2020’s when extremists gassed the center of Berlin’s main subway system. Although I was just a boy, I couldn’t understand why the police and other authorities didn’t do something about the bad guys who kept committing such atrocities. I mean, all I ever saw were politicians on the TV arguing about this or that – and human rights – but not doing much; while those responsible for terrible crimes just did whatever they wanted.
I vowed there and then that if I was ever in a position to stop such people, I would.
And look how perfectly that worked out!
And now? I think my attitude is influenced by our ethic in Special Forces. If in doubt, take it out. I know it might sound harsh, but if anyone threatens me and mine, or the people and nations I’ve sworn to protect, I’ll kill scum-bags without losing any sleep. I will not hesitate. Man, woman, child. If they represent danger, I will gladly take responsibility for their timely demise.
Do you have any phobias?
Spongers who’ve never worked a day in their life. Bring back compulsory military service – or similar for Law Enforcement/Fire and Rescue. Give people a sense of pride, and they’ll become the citizens we need them to be.
Please give us an interesting and unusual fact about yourself.
I love cats. What can I say? If I had a more stable homelife, you’d see dozens of them in my garden.

Tell Us About Your World

Please give us a little information about the world in which you live.
As the other guys have already mentioned, Arden is a breathtakingly beautiful. Its mix of forests, grasslands and mountains look like they’ve come right out of a picture book.
Once all the troubles are over, me and some of the guys plan to climb the Erasan Mountains...Followed by the Erasan Mountains. Evidently, one of the peaks there is half again as high as Everest back on Earth.
The whole place is surreal, because although certain things remind you of home, the colors...wow!  It’s like Final Fantasy come true.
And the moon -
Se’ochan – it’s out all the time, even in the day.
Little reminders like this scream, hey! This isn’t Kansas anymore.
Do you travel in the course of your adventures? If so where?
Oh yes, we use Rhomane city’s hovercraft (skimmer and skidders) to go just about everywhere. Sadly, our job means we don’t get much time to admire the view, as we’re often on the way to or from a mission to bag a brace of Horde ogres.
Name and describe a food from your world.
Well, like every other person with a pulse, I adore rhobexi. Why God thought to restrict them to Arden when I’m sure the teeming billions of Earth would gladly put this gorgeous beast to the top of the barbecue list, I’ll never know. Low in fat, high in taste, it’s a culinary dream come true in handy rib-sized portions. Yuuuum. (I’ll need to put a bib on soon, just the thought of that succulent meat makes me salivate).
What form of politics is dominant in your world? (Democracy, Theocracy, Meritocracy, Monarchy, Kakistocracy etc.)
We don’t have politics here. Just as well. They’d all be talking about survival and the soul-suckers’ rights to life while they drain us all dry. No, most of us are from one form of military service or another, so we’ve kept to that format. Everyone’s alive. We’re hanging in there. Once everything’s over and we want to spoil paradise, then we’ll give politics a chance I’m sure.
What is the technology level for your world/place of residence? What item would you not be able to live without?
I come from the twenty-first century, so I suppose you could say mankind was on the verge of dipping their collective toes into the pond of the vast unknown. The first manned spaceflight to Mars was due the following year. New particles were being discovered that would radicalize propulsion. And some bright spark had just demonstrated the feasibility of a near-light speed engine design. Yes, mankind – if it got its act together – was on the verge of something great. As it was, that meant we had all sorts of special toys to play with, in the Special Forces. Chameleon shields with incorporated stealth fuzzers to help you sneak up on enemies. Rotating optical sensors to allow you to scan multiple frequencies. Ultra silent weapons with magnetized rounds to cut through just about any obstacle. Sigh – life was good.
Now? believe it or not I couldn’t do without my trusty combat knife. It’s been with me since the beginning of my career. And although you have to get up close and personal to use it, it never runs out of ammo. Hee hee
J
 
 
If that’s it, I’ll take my leave? All that talk of rhobexi has given me a craving for meat...I can’t think why. You have a nice day now.
 
Bye for now,
Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment